The Best Online Betting Apps Review
In 2019 along with several other states, Illinois also received the green light from the Illinois Gaming Control Board that sports betting in Illinois were now legal. With premier league soccer starting and other sports in action, it couldn’t happen at a better time to launch mobile sports gambling apps. The first brand to open sportsbooks ahead of everyone comes from the collaboration between Rush Street Gaming and Rivers Casino Des Plaines. It is BetRivers with its first Illinois sports betting app who was also one of the first sports gambling sites to launch in other states like New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Colorado.
How Do We Rate the Illinois Sports Betting Apps?
We do the Best Betting Sites for Illinois players and apps differently since the state is far behind in approving most of its online gambling betting apps. Two of the top contenders for betting apps that has a presence in most states so far is DraftKings and FanDuel. Both these operators are subjected to an 18-month to a 3-year penalty period. Illinois government and gambling act decided to penalize these two operators due to illegal offering of their DFS gambling to Illinois punters. Other factors we look at aside from when they will launch include:
- Reputation – Illinois might be new to online sports betting but the apps we look at coming from established sportsbooks with an excellent reputation.
- Regulated – we make sure they are fully licensed and regulated by Illinois Gaming Control
- Reliability – even though licensed, we look at the platform’s reliability, uptimes and customer support
- Navigation – how easy is it for players to navigate the sportsbook app, is the bet slip readily assessable and sports as well as markets clear?
- Variety – do they offer the most prominent sports and favourite markets to punters are something we look at.
Best betting apps
BetRivers app was live first and deservedly so as it offers one of the best bonuses, VIP programs with low 1 x wagering requirement. New players get up to $250 bonus while it uses the popular iRush Rewards program. It has mobile apps for Android as well as iPhone with a massive sports markets covering most sports while interesting betting markets are available including live in-play betting.
Here players get up to $500 matching bonus which is a 100% deposit bonus as well as a $10 free bet every week. Use the bonus code PLAYBONUS when you live in Illinois to claim your bonus. Top sports include NHL, Golf, NBA, MLB, NFL as well as many more. the app is available for both Android and Apple users. BetMGM gives players a great reward program iRewards where they get their combined PlayMGM casino points for playing table games, roulette, blackjack, poker, slots and more added to the sportsbook side which is BetMGM. Even though these are separate platforms from the same owner, these points get combined.
DraftKings is a number one DFS sports betting site that can now offer all sports that you want. Every possible betting market, as well as diverse sports selection, can be wagered here. Get a sign-up bonus when you join as well as risk-free bet and matching bonus. Bonuses here are up to $1025.
FanDuel is another industry leader that players know around the world as the 2nd best DFS site. This too has licensing as sportsbook operator with top mobile apps and besides sports will it offer horse betting too with the plans to buy one of the top Illinois racetracks. Get a $500 risk-free bet when signing up at FanDuel.
What bets are available at sportsbooks apps?
Most sports gambling sites have similar bet types with the below potentially everything you would encounter on real money betting apps:
- Moneylines – a straightforward bet which novices prefer where you pick a winner. Payouts are determined by sportsbook odds which is why we look at odds offered by operators. Underdogs have a – sign with favourites a + sign.
- Totals (Over/Under) – do the math of how much both teams will score and decide by how many the score will be under or over but you decide if you want to go for under or over, not both.
- Spreads – Instead of choosing a winner, the point spread indicated by how much a team or player will lose or win. For example, if a favourite is at -8.5 while the underdogs are at +8.5 and you want the favourite to win, it must be a win of minimum nine-point for your wager to be right and you end up with a winning wager.
- Parlays – a high-risk but also high-payout potential when you know what you are doing. You link more than one bet in a single slip, but everyone must be correct.
- Propositions – wagers are not placed for wins but results that have nothing to do with scores. Wagers are placed for what happens inside a match like who is going to kick the next goal, next corners, etc.
- Futures – games that must still playoff which include soccer matches, golf tournaments, tennis matches, etc.
- Live (in-play betting) – players bet on races that are already in play which is popular across all industries.
Bet on Horse races
Horse races are legit in Illinois with three top racetracks in the state. These include Fairmount, Arlington and Hawthorne. Horse racing will continue at these tracks with all three already applied for full sportsbook licensing. These will go into partnerships with sportsbooks like Fanduel which plan to buy Fairmount. Two other apps that will offer horse betting include PointsBet and Bet America.
Land-Based Sportsbooks & Locations in the Illinois State
With COVID 19 the entire sports betting market in Illinois has been thrown into a terrible state. A bunch of casinos applied for sportsbook licenses which include 7 professional sports venue plus 3 racetracks as well as 10 casinos. Racetracks that applied for full sportsbook licensing include Arlington Park, Hawthorne Racecourse as well as Fairmount Park. While Rivers Casino and Argosy already have their licenses, the rest of our list must still be determined:
- Rivers Casino Des Plaines in Des Plaines, Illinois – licensed
- Argosy Casino Alton in Alton, Illinois – License granted with launch date – TBD
- Fairmount Park Racetrack – applied for licensing
- Arlington Park – applied for licensing
- Hollywood Casino Joliet – license granted with launch date -TBD
- Hollywood Casino Aurora – license granted with launch date – TBD
- Grand Victoria – license granted with launch date TBD
- Casino Queen East St. Louis -license granted with launch date – TBD
- Par-A-Dice Casino East Peoria – license granted with launch date – TBD
- Jumer’s Casino Rock Island – applied for license
- Hawthorne Racecourse – applied for license
- Harrah’s Joliet – applied
- Harrah’s Metropolis – applied
Sports betting partnerships
While only the BetRivers are confirmed and already launched, Argosy is still deciding which operators it will be launching with. Other casinos that have applied for licensing, have already pre-determined who their partners will be when they do launch which is something that nobody could determine either as it could be that the first launch after Argosy might only be in 2021.
- Rivers Casino Des Plaines launched BetRivers
- Argosy Casino Alton will launch on December 3rd, 2020 with either DraftKings or Barstool Sportsbook
- Par-A-Dice partnering with BetMGM
- Hawthorne Racecourse partnering with PointsBet
- Harrah’s Joliet, DraftKings or Caesars
- Harrah’s Metropolis with Caesars
- Hollywood Aurora with Barstool Sportsbook
- Grand Victoria with William Hill
- Fairmount Racetrack – talks are that FanDuel may be purchasing the racetrack
- Arlington Park Racetrack with Bet America partnership
How to Choose the Right Betting App?
What should you look for aside from reading mobile casino reviews to see how we rate the best online gambling app in Illinois?
- See what type of welcome bonuses are offered which could be sign-up, no deposit bonuses, risk-free bet or matching bonuses. At the same time look at its wagering requirements as most sportsbooks offer a low 1 x playthrough.
- Make sure it has adequate banking methods and listing your favourite deposit method and that its payouts are fast.
- Look at the platform’s navigation, is it simple and uncluttered or will you struggle to find your way around.
- Does it have a rewards or VIP Program rewarding players for loyal lay with special prizes, additional free bets etc?
- Does it offer all the bets you like to wager like parlay wagering, futures, etc?
- How diverse is the sports markets, is it covering all the league matches that you like?
Benefit of Betting Apps vs. Desktop
Betting apps are small, secure files that download within minutes. It gives players the ability to continue where they left off during a sports bet. It has live streaming and in-play betting that allows you to wager while travelling by train or bus or standing in long-dreaded queues. Desktops have one advantage that mobile doesn’t have, and it is only one – size. That is the only benefit and when you put these two head to head in comparison, mobile betting apps always win.
Banking options for App users
All popular deposit and withdraw options are available to make play smooth, secure, safe and effortless. It includes:
- Credit and debit cards (Visa, Mastercard, Amex) are offered via all sportsbooks. Here players can deposit as little as $5 depending on the platform.
- E-wallets (PayPal, Skrill, Neteller, etc) – safe and fast both when depositing as well as withdraw players will find either one or all of these e-wallets and often more than these. Deposits are instant while withdrawals take between 12 – 24 hours after review processes.
- Prepaid cards – casino + cards are increasingly offered which players can get from participating sportsbooks. Paysafecard, PayNearMe is also popular as these are 100% anonymous and secure.
Is it legal to bet on State sports teams?
Illinois has several sports teams with the greatest according to locals, the Chicago Bears. Wagering on sports teams is legit, with only collegiate and school sports against the law.
Which online sportsbooks will launch next?
With only 2 sportsbooks that have officially launched with only one operating since July 18, 2020, there is a number that is still set to launch. Various land-based partners have applied for licensing, while others got approved before COVID 19. The next to launch without confirming in which order include BetMGM, PointsBet, Barstool, William Hill, FanDuel, BetAmerica.
Illinois Sports Betting Revenue
It is impossible to know what type of sports betting revenue Illinois will produce, but with the high taxes, it is estimated that this state could generate up to $488 million annually.
How to Install a Casino App on Your Smartphone?
Mobile sports betting apps give players the freedom to bet wherever they are and to play on smartphone after downloading applications via App Store or sportsbook websites. Illinois law also makes provision for mobile-only sportsbooks which means these do not need a desktop platform or website except to bet on tablet or compatible devices that include Windows and Blackberry.
Google Play does not make provision for casino software download, therefore when you have an Android, you should visit a sportsbook via your mobile to download the app. Before you install it, change your settings to accept apps from unknown sources and the installation will start. iOS mobile players can get their app on Apple’s Store.
Can I bet for free as well as real cash?
Casino players will find that they can play real money games as well as free games like slots, etc via casino game apps. Real money betting apps, however, do not make provision for free wagering. Players must deposit funds and place wagers.
How Secure Is My Mobile Account?
Any casino app for iOS and Android is safe and secure. Software that is used for mobile platforms come from top online mobile casinos that are in partnership with land-based casinos and sportsbooks. An Illinois sports gambling app is regulated and under license from Illinois Gaming Control Board.
What Are The Tax Rates For Sports Betting?
Sports betting is taxed rather hefty at a rate of 15%. It is the state with the most expensive sportsbook licenses and also the highest gambling tax rate.
Is Daily Fantasy Sports Legal?
Yes, it wasn’t legal before the sports betting law has passed in December 2019, but now players can bet legally.
Do I Need To Live In Indiana To Bet Online via app?
No, you can live outside Indiana when you want to bet in the state. The USA gambling law made provision that individual bettors can live in any state when they want to bet in another state. The only requirements are that you are physically present Indiana when you want to place a wager, access banking etc. When you are playing on a mobile phone, geolocation software will determine whether you are allowed to gamble.
How Old Do You Have To Be to Legally Bet?
You must be 21-years or older when you want to place a wager. Therefore, is it essential that you verify your age through identity documentation like a driver’s license, or social security number.